2023 East Africa Conference
Athi River, Kenya
Join other community leaders from across East Africa in a three day conference focused on empowerment and capacity building.
This conference is for anyone who leads an NGO, CBO or other community organization, as well as staff, volunteers, or those who wish to start their own community program.
Workshops will introduce you to relevant topics of project management and organizational support, as well as dive deeper into topics so you can gain the necessary knowledge to do your work well.
Ksh 9000 or $70 USD per person
Scholarships available! Thanks to a generous grant from We One Action Network, partial scholarships are available, so attendee conference fees are reduced to $35 USD or Ksh 4500 per person. Limited scholarships available. Apply below.
Free Public Workshop
Cultivate will also offer a free public workshop in Nairobi on Monday, April 24.
Tuesday, April 25
Leadership Development and Asset-Based Community-Led Development Theory
8 am - 12 pm
- Qualities and practices for effective and authentic leadership.
- Building confidence and self-awareness.
- Rest and balance in leadership.
- Principles of asset-based community-led development.
Program Design and Building a Program Plan
2 pm - 6 pm
- Identifying the community's felt needs, its root causes and critical effects.
- Creating a business plan (mission, objectives, budgets, and more).
- Program launch strategies.
Wednesday, April 26
Understanding how to fundraise in the USA and Fundraising with Individuals, Families and Other Organizations
8 am - 12 pm
- Networking, research and finding donor prospects.
- Online campaigns, appeals, and other means of income generation.
- Understanding American expectations and laws for charities.
- Creating an income budget and plan.
Researching and Applying for Grants
2 pm - 6 pm
- How to find and understand potential grants
- Writing a grant template
- Best practices for grant writing
- Post-grant procedures and reporting
Thursday, April 27
8 am - 12 pm
- Determining what to measure.
- Creating a logical framework analysis, theory of change, and logic models.
- Understanding the difference between outputs and outcomes/impact.
- Methods of evaluation - surveys, focus groups, interviews, group forums, etc.
- Analyzing and reporting data.
Using Online Tools for Communications with Stakeholders
2 pm - 6 pm
- Principles and best practices of communications.
- Storytelling and focusing on impact.
- Donor cultivation and stewardship.
- Using newsletters, annual reports, websites, and social media.
- Creating a communications strategy and calendar.
- Conference fee includes accommodations for three nights, meals, transport from Nairobi, and conference materials.
- Meals included: Monday evening dinner; breakfast, lunch and dinner for Tuesday- Thursday; and Friday morning breakfast.
- Transport from Kibera Town Centre (Nairobi) to Athi River on Monday evening (4 pm) and back on Friday morning (11 am) is included.
- Travel to Nairobi and other costs are not included in the conference fee.
- If you do not need transport from Nairobi to Athi River, and prefer to meet us there instead, the cost of the conference is $6500 Ksh or $50 USD.
The conference is taking place at the Youth With a Mission campus in Athi River. Located 45 km away from Nairobi, along the Mombasa Road and near Machakos, Athi River Base presents a rural experience. You will stay in shared dorm rooms. The campus has electricity and wifi, but no piped water. Toilets and showers are simple and outdoors. You can see more about this location here: https://ywamathiriver.org.
You will be provided with sheets and a blanket for your bed. Rooms have protection against mosquitos. Please bring: pillow (if desired), towel, soap and other toiletries.
Monday, April 24 - 4 pm
Meet Cultivate staff and other conference attendees at the Kibera Town Centre in Nairobi to be transported to Athi River, approximately a 1.5 hour drive. Dinner will be provided upon arrival. If you miss the departure, you will need to find your own transport to Athi River.
Friday, April 28 - 11 am
You will be brought back to Kibera Town Centre at 11 am or earlier.
If you do not need transport from Nairobi to Athi River, and prefer to meet us there instead, the cost of the conference is $6500 Ksh or $50 USD.
Payment for the conference will be collected upon arrival. Please pay with cash (Kenyan Shillings or US Dollars). If you need alternate payment options, please contact us.
To apply for a scholarship, fill out the registration below.
- Have a thorough understanding of the program or organization you represent.
- Speak and write English proficiently (a good test is whether you are able to understand everything on this webpage).
- Bring to the conference specific documents which will be used in workshop activities, including:
- Program or organizational budget
- Business plan or other written documents explaining your program
- Former grant applications or other project proposals
- Preliminary reading materials will be sent to you before the conference. Please plan to spend 2-5 hours in preparation.
- A laptop is not required but recommended.
Registration is required by April 10. Space is limited and no late registrations will be accepted. We will create a waitlist if necessary.