If you are an ally, donor, supporter or advocate for social change, please take the time to grow your understanding and capacity for transformative partnerships.
We suggest the following to get you started.
Cultivate’s Introduction to Asset-Based Community-led Development & Community Empowerment course. This course is written for those leading social good efforts; however, anyone can take it to better understand the social good sector. When you purchase access, you contribute towards our scholarship fund. Learn more or enroll.
Books & Articles
- The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist
- Decolonizing Wealth by Edgar Villanueva
- The Age of Overwhelm: Strategies for the Long Haul by Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky
- Building Social Business: The New Kind of Capitalism That Serves Humanity’s Most Pressing Needs by Muhhammad Yunus (watch the summary here)
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Dr. Robin DiAngelo
- Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World by Anand Giridharadas
- The One-for-one Business Model: Avoiding Unintended Consequences (Access here)
- Good Corporation, Bad Corporation: Corporate Social Responsibility in the Global Economy (Access here)
Movies & Videos
- Poverty Inc. https://www.povertyinc.org (streaming)
- Uncharitable https://uncharitablemovie.com (releasing 9/23/23 – limited screenings, but when it’s made public, watch it!)
- Adam Ruins Everything – Why “Buy One, Give One” Companies Don’t Help Anyone (YouTube)
- Charity: how effective is giving? (YouTube)
- The way we think about charity is dead wrong (YouTube) (please watch this!)
Check out our ever-growing list of resources for practicing justice and growing your understanding and commitment to it. CLICK HERE.